News from IAB

The mission of the International Association of Bryologists (IAB), as a society, is to strengthen bryology by encouraging interactions among all persons interested in byophytes.

Monday, November 24, 2008

long seta

Subject: RE: BRYONET: World's most extreme bryophyte (in terms of size)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:19:27 +1100
From: Rod Seppelt <Rod.Seppelt@aad.gov.au>

BRYONET

I would offer suggestions of Splachnum luteum and Splachnum rubrum for the
longest setas I have come across. Followed closely by Meesia triquetra. I
think I have material in my herbarium of Splachnum luteum where the seta is
around 15cm (the specimens are boxed ready for transfer so I cannot check). For
Meesia triquetra, the setas are around 10cm (again, I can't check the
measurements at the present time).

Prof. Rod Seppelt,
Principal Research Scientist,
Australian Antarctic Division,
Channel highway,
Kingston 7050,
Tasmania, Australia
ph: +61 (03) 6232 3438
FAX: +61 (03) 6232 3449
e-mail: rod.seppelt@aad.gov.au
---------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment