News from IAB

The mission of the International Association of Bryologists (IAB), as a society, is to strengthen bryology by encouraging interactions among all persons interested in byophytes.

Monday, August 11, 2008

moss cultures

Subject: RE: moss cultures
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:13:29 -0700
From: butcher <butcher@drizzle.com>
To: <bryonet-l@mtu.edu>

BRYONET

Howdy,

I have been experimenting with growing moss in all sorts of contraptions and
conditions, with all sorts of results. The best thus far is using a covered
misting bench filled with course sand in a greenhouse. It makes one of the
most beautiful scapes I have seen. Not for all species but it does work
well. Another method I have found is using cheese cloth first soaked in
nice acidic mud and then brushing it with "chipped" pieces of moss as well
as "disturbed" spore capsules. Then I either put that in to the mist
chamber or hang it on the wall next to the mounted orchids.

At home, I use variations on these. Standard garden tray with pressed soil,
cheese cloth, and spore, then covered with plastic. I use one of these as a
moss orphanage. When I am repotting or mounting orchids, I will take the
moss growing in the pot and replant it in the orphanage.

I have found that the spore is viable for quite some time, even under not so
ideal conditions, but keeping it dry and dark obviously seems like the best
advice until you are ready to grow.

As for controlled growth of specific species, I use 2-liter bottles on their
side with a door cut from the side of the bottle for transplant later. Some
species thrive under these conditions, but the biggest problem, besides
over-watering, seems to be getting fresh air to them on occasion.

Those interested in helping others grow moss, or learning more about
cultivation, please email me for a web address devoted to moss farming. I
don't want to "advertise/spam" the bryonet!

Stephan Butcher

No comments:

Post a Comment