News from IAB

The mission of the International Association of Bryologists (IAB), as a society, is to strengthen bryology by encouraging interactions among all persons interested in byophytes.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

mosses for surfaces - sculpture

Subject: Re: mosses for surfaces
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 13:51:06 -0500 (EST)
From: Janice M. Glime <jmglime@mtu.edu>
To: Robert Grafschafter <grafschafter@hotmail.com>

BRYONET

Dear Robert and bryonetters,
I am copying this to the list because similar questions arise frequently
on bryonet, but this one has a different spin on it. Robert's interest in
moss culture is at the end of my response.
I think your topic is quite feasible, although a bit slow. Mosses
naturally colonize statues, buildings, and gravestones. Coaxing them to
do it in our time frames is a bit more tricky. There are two books on
growing mosses that may be of help to you. Each briefly describes growing
moss on rock, and the Schenk book has a photo of moss on a rock formation
in a dish garden, much like it would be on a statue.

Fletcher, M. 1991. Moss Grower's Handbook. Seventy Press, 70 South
St. Reading, Berkshire. RG1 4Ra United Kingdom. (small paperback once
available from the BBS)

Schenk, G. 1997. Moss Gardening Including Lichens, Liverworts, and
Other Miniatures. Timber Press, Portland, Oregon. Hardback; $34.95.

The most tricky thing you may have to deal with is that most mosses are
intolerant of alkalinity, especially things like concrete. If your
sculpting material is of this nature, you will have to choose your mosses
carefully and use those that normally grow on limestone or other alkaline
areas.

Janice
***********************************
Janice M. Glime, Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
Michigan Technological University
Houghton, MI 49931-1295
jmglime@mtu.edu
906-487-2546
FAX 906-487-3167
***********************************


On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Robert Grafschafter wrote:

>
> Dear Janice,
>
> Thank you for responding me. To be more specific you've to know
> that I´m not only studying ecology at the University of Vienna, I´m also
> studying sculpture (in the masterclass of Bruno Gironcoli).
>
> In my "biological" education I´ve always tried to find my own way, in the
> sense of finding the right topic responding to my skills. And time has
> shown that it would be a creativ topic.
>
> With the possibility of studying sculpture I´ve now the option to combine
> the two studies. To combine ecology, with breeding of mosses, in order
> to "plant" them on objects.
>
> Now I´m searching for serious literature, because still I have to
> convince my professor.
>
> With all the best wishes from Vienna,
>
> Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment