News from IAB

The mission of the International Association of Bryologists (IAB), as a society, is to strengthen bryology by encouraging interactions among all persons interested in byophytes.

Friday, November 28, 2008

Sphagnum fuscum most important?

Subject: Re: BRYONET: (no subject)
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:42:02 -0500
From: Richard Andrus <randrus@binghamton.edu>

BRYONET

I think we need a new category- World's most important bryophyte- for
which I nominate Sphagnum fuscum! I believe no other bryophyte even
comes close with respect to amount of carbon fixed and stored. It may
even be possible that without this species world climate patterns
might be different! If nothing else this ought to start a good
argument. If not, I'll just assume I'm right.
Then once we've settled this, we should do the "world's most
beautiful bryophyte".

Dick Andrus

No comments:

Post a Comment