News from IAB

The mission of the International Association of Bryologists (IAB), as a society, is to strengthen bryology by encouraging interactions among all persons interested in byophytes.

Friday, December 5, 2008

wrong ID on web pictures

Subject: SV: BRYONET: identification pictures /suggestion [SEC=Unclassified]
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 10:07:35 +0100
From: Tomas Hallingbäck <tomas.hallingback@artdata.slu.se>

BRYONET

Hii
On the web I often see wrongly identified specimens.
To make web pages with bryophyte pictures within a short time causes
problems for others.
I suspect that people gladly publish pictures without a thorough checking
the identification of the species.
When I take pictures for our illustrated Nordic Moss flora I always keep a
voucher specimen for each picture.
This is very useful when someone is questioning the correctness of the
identification.
I admit that I have made a couple of mistakes because some species are
difficult to identify without a careful checking of several details under
the microscope.
I am in favor of first of all a high correctness of the determination of the
taxon before publishing it on the internet.
Tomas

Tomas Hallingback
Bryologist
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
ArtDatabanken
P. O. Box 7007
SE-750 07 Uppsala
SWEDEN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers