News from IAB

The mission of the International Association of Bryologists (IAB), as a society, is to strengthen bryology by encouraging interactions among all persons interested in byophytes.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Reproduction via leaf fragmentation in Frullania bolanderi

I thought I'd share with you all an interesting find. Today I found Frullania bolanderi in old-growth growing on striped maple. I do not know if this is a notable find for northern Michigan, but under the microscope I found that the leaves shed from the denuded shoot tips that grow erect from the tree (which is a character by which to identify F. bolanderi) were developing into clones.I have no literature on the species, but I'm sure this has been observed before. Here's a photo of a denuded shoot tip and a couple leaves developing shoots.

No comments:

Post a Comment