News from IAB

The mission of the International Association of Bryologists (IAB), as a society, is to strengthen bryology by encouraging interactions among all persons interested in byophytes.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

long Scorpidium, Climacium rhizome, small Discelium

Subject: Re: BRYONET: World's most extreme bryophyte (in terms of size)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 16:27:27 -0500
From: Jean Faubert <jfaubert1@globetrotter.net>

BRYONET

Maybe not a world record but I have here a Scorpidium scorpioides that
reach 60 cm (and I'm now sorry I was not more careful in collecting the
older parts).

And shall we consider the underground parts of Climacium ? Has anybody
been more patient than me who stopped digging after collecting 25 cm of
rhizome (wich I would think is rather short, but this is a question
actually) ?

I would suggest Discelium nudum as a contender for the smallest
gametophyte (we have so separate gametophyte from sporophyte, right ?),
but then this will take us nowhere (smilling here), because, well, shall
we consider protonema ?

Jean Faubert

No comments:

Post a Comment