News from IAB

The mission of the International Association of Bryologists (IAB), as a society, is to strengthen bryology by encouraging interactions among all persons interested in byophytes.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

regarding moss culture - sterilization technique

Subject: BRYONET: regarding moss culture
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:24:15 +0100 (BST)
From: [iso-8859-1] jakob raath <lungumabel@yahoo.co.uk>

BRYONET

thanks for getting back to me, for sterilisation I took all my petri
dishes and autoclaved them for 15 mins. I also autoclaved river sand which
is the substrate on which the mosses are growing.

I then subjected 30 gram amounts of diaspore bank to different fire
simulations in an oven at 100 degrees and 200 degrees and afor two
different durations 2 minutes and 5 minutes.

I then put each differently treated sample of diaspore bank into a petri
dish labeled with its type of treatment and put them into the green house
where I open them once a week to count what is growing.

the temperature of the green house is wam and the dishes are sealed tight
with enough moisture for the mosses to stay moist.

I hope that gives you a better idea.

thanks for your help
Jakob Raath

No comments:

Post a Comment