News from IAB

The mission of the International Association of Bryologists (IAB), as a society, is to strengthen bryology by encouraging interactions among all persons interested in byophytes.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

culture with buttermilk

Subject: Re: How to grow mosses?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:52:48 +1100
From: David Hanson <HANSON@rsbs.anu.edu.au>
To: <bryonet-l@mtu.edu>

BRYONET

Just a quick comment about buttermilk.

I tried adding this to some ground up Polytrichum that I wanted to grow in an
artificial bog environment in a greenhouse. Much to my surprise, within a day
or two all of the places that I had spread my buttermilk-Polytrichum cultures
were devoid of any moss or buttermilk. My only conclusion was that mice (or
something) in the greenhouse was hungry and liked buttermilk. So if you try
this, put a cage around your plots.

-Dave Hanson

No comments:

Post a Comment